Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Minnesota Trip 2011 - Day Twelve

The call of the open road was answered big time on the second day of our return to New Jersey. The route took us from the Joliet hotel to Interstate 355 to Interstate 80 on which we stayed for the duration of the day. since the driving was uneventful, this gives me opportunity to reflect on some of the related pieces of auto travel.


First, I commend Holiday Inn Express lodgings. I've found them to be clean, comfortable, no-frills places to stay, do business, sleep, eat a simple breakfast and move on. The lodgings are usually close to a range of restaurant choices for the evening meal and even provide some vetted recommendations. The high-speed Internet access is always free (unlike some of the more expensive places which charge for getting online). Breakfast is included -- sort of a modified continental buffet style with entrees such as biscuits and gravy or omlettes with sausage or bacon. Some have the new pancake maker wherein you push a button and out rolls pancakes baked on the heated conveyer belt. Juice, toast, bagels, cinnamon rolls, yougurt and cereals with coffee and juice are also available. My only regret is that the coffee is universally not very good.

Not every Holiday Inn Express is perfect. Some seem to have hand-me-down furnishings, which, though comfortable, look a little tired. We found the Joliet place to be woefully short of electrical outlets, so we had to unplug some of the lamps in order to plug in the computers. However, some of the newest lodgings are outstanding. On this trip, the Austinville, OH and the Du Bois, PA hotels were great; Roseville, MN and DeForest, WI were okay.

Second, I commend the Verizon MiFi portable hotspot. This little gadget makes it possible to take care of urgent business even while on the road or in locations where wireless broad band or even dialup is not available. I was able to handle two requests for website updates in the car on Interstate 80 while Jan did the driving. While at the fishing lake I was able to take care of several requests and post to this blog with no landline or wireless available. My next car is going to have a 120 volt AC outlet so that I can keep my laptop charged while on the road, extending the range of my "office" even farther afield.

And third, I commend Starbucks. I know some people rave about Dunkin Donuts' coffee, but there is no comparision in my book. It is such a pleasure to sip a grande cappuccino anytime during the day, as a pick-me-up when the driving gets tedious. The only regret for this trip is that Interstate 80 through Pennsylvania is a Starbucks desert. Some enterprising folk need to recognize a great business opportunity there.

Having given my commendations, this will be the last chapter of the Minnesota Trip 2011. I'm writing this at home, having made the last dash from Du Bois, PA to High Bridge in some heavy rains left by Tropical Storm Lee. we are safe and looking for more travels ahead. And I will keep you posted.

No comments: